If you want to know when (and where) a film was produced, you can usually do so via so-called edge markings (or “edge codes”). However, the information on deciphering the small symbols and characters is somewhat scattered, hence here the attempt of a compilation:
- Symbols for Kodak 8 and 16mm Movies: A Guide to Identifying Year of Manufacture for KODAK Motion Picture Films (Kodak, April 2013)
- Symbols for Kodak 8 and 16mm Movies: Kodak Edge Codes ( East Anglian Film Archive
- A cross-vendor circumstantial list to narrow non-systematically marked film materials : Edge Codes and Identifications
- A lot of interesting information about identifying manufacturers, as well as information about the identification of the Slitter used : Guide to Identifying Color Movie Film Stocks
- Kodak ‘s Chronology of Motion Picture Films offers a very interesting list of all (?) film materials sold since 1889, including their production end date. Unfortunately, the list ends at the time of 2017 …
If you have other good sources, add them in the comments!