Company founded in 1937 by
Charles Kalms as a photographic studio. The business flourished during
the Second World War, as there was much demand for photographic services and
family portraits. In the 1950s,
Stanley Kalms, Charles's son, started
regular trips to the Far East. He forged vital links with Japanese
manufacturers who supplied Dixons directly with products often made to the
company's own specification and sold under the brand name of Prinz.
In 1967, Dixons diversified into developing and printing by taking control
of an 85,000 sq ft colour processing laboratory in Stevenage, the most up-to-date
in Europe at the time.